What is CareShield Life?
CareShield Life is a long-term care insurance scheme that provides basic financial support should Singaporeans become severely disabled, especially during old age, and need personal and medical care for a prolonged duration (i.e. long-term care).
Why do we need CareShield Life?
1 in 2 healthy Singaporeans aged 65 could become severely disabled in their lifetime, and may need long-term care. Severe disability may arise due to a sudden disabling event (e.g. stroke and spinal cord injuries), the worsening of chronic conditions and diseases (e.g. diabetes), or the progression of illnesses as we age (e.g. dementia).
It is important that we plan early for our future long-term care needs, but working out how much to save can be difficult since the cost of long-term care is uncertain. Insurance schemes like CareShield Life help to pool our risks together and ensure protection against potentially catastrophic long-term care costs, providing peace of mind.
Who does CareShield Life cover?
Singaporeans born in 1980 or later:
- If you are born after 1990 (aged below 30 in 2020), you will be automatically covered when you turn 30, regardless of pre-existing medical conditions and disability. You will receive a letter about 2 months before your 30th birthday, and premiums will be made available closer to your 30th birthday.
- If you are born between 1980 to 1990 (aged 30 to 40 in 2020), you will be automatically covered on 1st Oct 2020 or when you turn 30, whichever is later, regardless of pre-existing medical conditions and disability. You will receive a letter between September to October 2020 with your policy details. In the meantime, you can check your personalised CareShield Life premiums here.
Singaporeans born in 1979 or earlier:
- If you are born in 1979 or earlier (aged 41 and above in 2020), participation is optional.1 You can apply to join CareShield Life from end-2021 onwards if you are not severely disabled. There is no age limit. More information on how to apply will be provided closer to end-2021.
- To make joining more convenient, if you are born between 1970 and 1979 (aged 41 to 50 in 2020), insured under ElderShield 400, and not severely disabled, you will be automatically enrolled into CareShield Life from end-2021. However, you can opt out by 31st Dec 2023 if you do not wish to remain on CareShield Life. More information on auto-enrolment will be provided closer to end-2021.
- In the meantime, you can check your estimated CareShield Life premiums here.
1Except foreigners who become Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents from 1st Oct 2020 onwards and are not born in 1979 or earlier. Participation is mandatory as long as they are not severely disabled.
The following video gives a brief introduction of CareShield Life, MediSave Care and ElderFund.